Thursday 6 December 2018

My Top Video Game Series

I'm a huge fan of videos over the years and got to know many of them whenever I'm playing alone, with my friends or family or watching my brother. There are some that I'm good at including strategy based games like Pokemon or those that I can never quite get used to the game mechanics or just mediocre including Mario Kart and Marvel Vs Capcom but reguardless, I don't need to be good at them as long as I enjoy playing in any way as said by Satotu Iwata "Above all, video games are meant to be just one thing: fun. Fun for everyone". So here are the video games that happens to be my personal picks:

1. Pokemon


Pokemon has always been my main source of gaming from Red to Ultra Moon; catching and raising my Pokemon for my battles to be the very best like no one ever was. I have been shown to become a strong Pokemon Trainer with help from the metagame site Smogon which have given me ideas on the best way to use my Pokemon while still enjoying Pokemon. Also been enjoying watching the Anime and its movies and playing a few side Pokemon games including Battle Revolution (unpopular opinion but I say it's a pretty good game), Pokemon Go and Detective Pikachu.

2. Fire Emblem Heroes 


One of the mobile games I've played owned by Nintendo. I've played Fire Emblem Heroes after my friends have played it and got hooked on it since. It helped me to get into the series itself with Fates being my first Fire Emblem game as brought from a friend of mine for my Birthday. I've been going on Fire Emblem Heroes a lot to raise my units (including my Reinhardt going "Magic is everything!") and to take part in seasonal events.

3. Super Smash Bros 

The Nintendo crossover fighting game that have helped me to get to know many Nintendo franchises including The Legend of Zelda, Metroid and Star Fox. I've been playing the series with my friends and have lots of fun and laughs and I'm hyped to play Ultimate which at this time of writing will be released tomorrow. 

4. TomoDachi Life 

I've been a fan of creating Miis and this was the game that makes best use of them, adding my friends, family, celebrities and fictional characters onto one island and raising them, often with amusing results. I've been making some musical performances with them using the Music Hall which you can check out here.  

5. Miitomo

Miitomo was the first mobile game which helped to open my mind on mobile gaming. Even if Miitomo have been long since shut down, it was great to answer a wide variety of questions, interact with others based on their answers, create some amusing Miifotos and earn some outfits for your Miis. 

6. Miitopia

The other game that makes use of Miis, Miitopia allows me to assemble my friends, celebrities, family and fictional characters in an RPG style game with again amusing results. It surprisingly have a really good soundtrack.

7. Mario Kart 

Mario Kart was the first game that I played Wi-Fi with my friends. It's always great to have some dumb fun on Mario Kart each time.

8. Project X Zone 


A crossover with franchises from Capcom, Namco and Sega (also in Project X Zone 2; Nintendo with Xenoblade Chronicles and Fire Emblem), many of which were obscure to me including Devil May Cry, God Eater, Hack, Resonance of Fates, Sakura Wars and Darkstalkers. I'm hoping to try them out someday (which I have done so for one of them which I'll cover soon).

9. Marvel Vs Capcom

The other crossover fighting game that have helped me to get to know characters from Marvel and Capcom (and Tatsunoko for Tatsunoko Vs Capcom - earning its honorable mention), getting myself hooked on their interactions with each other during their conversations (and in Infinite's case, the story mode) while teaming up the likes of Spiderman and Dante.

10. Ace Attorney

Objection! Ace Attorney is an intriguing visual novel series where you have to claim your defendants innocent as Phoenix Wright as his team. The series contains many cases that gets you hooked each time along with many humorous and emotional moments. 

11. Danganronpa

As I've been playing Ace Attorney, this friend of mine who has also been playing Ace Attorney have given me Danganronpa which is also a visual novel which have students being forced to play a killing game. The series have a wide variety of cast that gets me rooting for them including Makoto, Kyoko, Nagito, Gundam, Kokichi and Gonta.


12. God Eater 

After gaining an interest from Project X Zone and with the updated remakes released in the west, I thought it'll be my best chance to try God Eater. It's an action series where you have to fight against hostile Aragami monsters for the sake of humanity's future. Along the way, I've found myself getting close to the cast and enjoying the soundtrack throughout.

13. Animal Crossing

Animal Crossing is a relaxing Sims like series where you get close to your animal neighbours, take part in seasonal events and collect fish, bugs and furniture which gets you hooked on. I've been on its community forum where I became very close to my online friends which I'm still close too so I can thank Animal Crossing for that. I've also been enjoying the side series including Pocket Camp, Amiibo Festival (again unpopular opinion but I've actually enjoyed it) and Happy Home.

14. Wario Ware 


Warioware contains a series of wacky mircogames where you have to complete them within seconds before moving onto the next one shortly afterwards which gets addictive yet fun.

15. Rhythm Paradise/Heaven



From the same makers as Warioware, it focus on playing the games within the beat of the rhythm. It can be complicated at times but it still enjoyable to play with its soundtrack. Oh, the above image is my photoshop image of one of the most famous rhythm game Ringside with my crush Danny Jones from Mcfly.

16. The Unholy War 

An obscure Playstation game from my childhood where you have to choose two nations; The Arcanes or the Tecknos in this strategy based fighting game to fight for their home planet Xsarra, determining the outcome for the Unholy War. I still have memories of it and managed to re-experience it on an emulated version.

17. The Magic School Bus

Also from my childhood, the PC series have helped me to learn a lot about science while having fun. Due to these games, I remember a lot of facts including the planets from the solar system and the different kinds of rock and minerals. I've also been watching the original TV series which makes learning fun.

18. Mother 3

After using Lucas for Super Smash Bros Brawl a lot, I've gained an interest playing the fan translation version of Mother 3 with it being unreleased in the West. It have a series of RPG style battles with an interesting soundtrack, followed by its emotional story. Also been playing Earthbond (aka Mother 2) on the Wii U.

19 . Awesomenauts 


 This indie game was introduced by a friend of mine. I may have never got into the competitive side of it but I do enjoy some practise matches every now and then, using wacky Awesomenauts. It also have some awesome character themes and some of the best voice lines including Froggy G's "Don't hate the game, hate the player!" and Leon Chameleon "Homicide du Fromage" which is based on my favourite Cartoon Network show Dexter's Laboratory. 

20. Mario and Sonic series/Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games 

Ah yes, I couldn't afford to miss out a mention of two iconic gaming series; Super Mario and Sonic The Hedgehog. They have a wide variety of games that makes them equally iconic including New Super Mario Bros, Super Paper Mario and Super Mario Odyssey for Super Mario and Sonic CD, Sonic Generations and Sonic Forces for Sonic The Hedgehog. They have also set their rivalry asides and compete together for the Mario and Sonic at the Olympic game series, making those two franchises forever timeless and here to stay.

21. To the Moon/Finding Paradise 


Both visual novels were made by Kan Gao with To the Moon originally given from a friend of mine, they have their own unique story line with humorous yet bittersweet moments which I can't go into further detail as you have to find out yourself. They both also have a great theme song performed by Laura Shingihara.

22. Jackbox

The Jackbox series have a collection of games that are fun to play with friends and family, each with their unique style including Quiplash, Fibbage, Drawful, Tee Ko, Survive the internet, Fakin it, Earwax, Split the room and Patently Stupid. I can still remember some of the answers we come up with which can be exploited though it's probably better to leave it as that.

23. Dream Daddy

As a member of the LGBTQ community, it's great to have an LGBTQ dating sim visual novel where you play as a Dad, meeting other Daddys you can date. A great LGBTQ reprentation game which Dads dealing with complex issues that you may relate to, bringing you closer to them with along with your ingame daughter Amanda.

24.  Undertale 

I first got the know this game from Dan and Phil's gaming channel. Watching their playthrough makes me want to try it out myself. I can happily say that I've stick with the true pacifist path as I've got close to the wacky cast while enjoying the soundtrack. May this fill you with determination.

25.  Golf with your friends 

Even if you're not good at golf, it's a great game to have some dumb fun with your friends (though I'm shown to be good at times).

Honorable Mentions:

Ducktales Remastered - Have the best soundtrack for gaming
Soul Calibur - A series of sword fighting with some of them having the option to create your own fighters
Altered Beast - I admit that I can never get past the second level but playing as a guy who gets buff is my kind of thing...who can also transform into animals
My Virtual Gay Boyfriend - A mobile game where I can custom my virtual gay boyfriend
Wii Fit/Wii Sports - I have fond memories playing them with my friends and family while getting fit

No comments:

Post a Comment