Saturday 7 December 2019

Top Cartoon Network Shows


I remembered during my childhood (often during the times when I’m in Primary School to early High School Days) when I used to sit down and watch Cartoon Network with my Brother, checking out many weird and wonderful shows. Now or days, I don’t watch TV as often and spend more time playing video games or watching Youtube (and no longer have access to the network) but I still have fond memories of many shows from Cartoon Network and sometimes search those shows online. Here are my top Cartoon Network shows that happen to be my favourite. Note that this is my personal list based on personal experience and does not necessary reflect a whole audience.

10) Adventure Time

At this time of writing, I’ve only had a few experiences with Adventure Time but I am aware that it’s one of Cartoon Network’s beloved shows with many bizarre yet fun adventures with zany characters including Finn the Human, Jake the Dog and Marceline. I’ve only seen a few episodes from this DVD that was given to my Brother but the ones I’ve seen were entertaining in a weird way which is part of the appeal.  I wouldn’t mind checking out more episodes for me to have exposure with the fun that never ends.

9) Time Squad

A zany series featuring a trio known as the titular Time Squad going back in time to famous historical events to set things right. The historical events however are parodied and does not show the accurate representation which is what makes Time Squad entertaining to watch and more enjoyable than actual history lessons.

8) Cubix

A colourful computer animated show featuring humans co-existing with robots with a catchy theme song and fast paced action, if only there were more seasons as it certainly needs more recognition.

7) Courage the Cowardly Dog

I’m a wuss when it comes to horror but thankfully, this show parodies the theme that makes it enjoyable to watch in its bizarre way as you root for Courage as he outwits any horrors that comes to his way. It’s the show that I’m aren’t getting off my chair for.

6) The Powerpuff Girls (original series)

The Powerpuff Girls is a series about three super powered girls who fight crime before bedtime, combined a mixture of action, comedy and drama makes it an engaging show to watch. Even the villains themselves are entertaining. It shows that even girls can kick ass.

5) Mucha Lucha

One of the more obscure entries in this list, it involves young masked wrestlers attending a mask wresting school. It have a lot of humurious episodes, exciting fighting scenes and colourful cast; it needs more love as mentioned in this other article (along with Cubix).

4) Ed, Edd N Eddy

Another classic which features the misadventures of Ed Boys who tries to come up with ways to scam the neighbourhood kids for jawbreakers, often with hilarious results. A lot of episodes are enjoyable to watch with a lot of slapstick and the characters are entertaining (even dislikeable ones are hard to outright hate), making it a top tier Cartoon Network shows.

3) Dexter’s Laboratory

One of the oldest Cartoon Network and among the first I’ve watched which is still one of the best today.  I still find a lot of the episodes very funny (especially A Parrot Trap which is one of the best, if not the best episodes) as I watch boy genius Dexter’s experiments going hilariously wrong, making it a timeless classic.

2) Pokemon

I wasn’t too sure whenever to count this one as it’s no longer on Cartoon Network and not really an original Cartoon Network show unlike most examples on this list but as I long time fan of Pokemon (games and Anime), I thought I might as well. As I may have said before, I have always enjoyed the Pokemon Anime which is what have got me into Pokemon and I am thankful for Cartoon Network for airing the series, especially the XYZ arc which is one of the best, if not the best arc.

1)  Steven Universe

I’ve first heard about this coming of age series from Youtuber Thomas Sanders’ Cartoon Therapy video and read about the Some Avails Needs to be Dropped page on TV Tropes. With its idealistic setting and LGBTQ representation, I thought it would be the kind of show I would like and I was right. It has a lot of likeable cast who are flawed yet complex and relatable along with many lessons that inspires me a lot. As mentioned before, it’s one of the few kid shows that have LGBTQ characters which is very progressive and something that more kid show needs. Throughout the show, Steven Universe has a mixture of humorous and serious episodes and arcs that’ll get you hooked. All of this makes Steven Universe one of the top quality shows that everyone needs to watch. At this time of writing, a continuation of the series Steven Universe: Future is due to air and I hope it’ll continue to live up for the series.

Honourable Mentions:  Grim and Evil, Cow and Chicken, Johnny Bravo, Looney Tunes, Animaniacs, Pinky and The Brain.

I would also like to mention some shows that I have not yet seen but would like to try them out someday:

Teen Titians (original series) – I’ve never really got into DC comparing to Marvel (and even then, I’m more of a casual fan) though I have seen a few Justice League episodes. Teen Titians however sounds like my kind of DC show which involves a younger super hero cast who could be relatable. From what I can gather, it has a balance of light hearted and humorous episodes along with some serious and darker episodes, making the super hero based show that I wouldn’t mind checking out.

Freakazord! – I’ve seen a handful of clips on Youtube which are very hilarious. This would strive me to check out the whole episodes.

Infinity Train – I’ve watched Saberspark’s video about the series and it sounds like an interesting, mature cartoon show mixed with fantasy. I wouldn’t mind giving this show a go as I would watch Tulip’s journey of growth.

There are many Cartoon Network shows to remember and inspire by whenever you’re a regular viewer or a veteran viewer. I hope Cartoon Network will continue to air many good quality shows for people to enjoy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment